Restoring Our Legacy: A Shining City on a Hill
UPDATE -- Restoring Our Legacy: A Shining City on a Hill
Thank you once again for your continued support of The Campaign for St. Agnes!
It is hard to believe that it has been almost a year since we successfully completed our capital campaign. Father Edlefsen made the first capital campaign visit on July 4th, 2018, and we ended our campaign on January 31, 2019, and successfully exceeded our $5 million.
Thank you to every parishioner who generously made a commitment to the campaign. To date, we have $2,292,647 in cash received, representing 93% of pledging families making payments.
Our goal is to reach 100% of capital campaign supporters having made a pledge payment. If you have not yet made your first pledge payment, please consider doing so now. Redeeming your pledge commitments will help ensure the success of this project. Also, with a large portion of work expected in 2020, having pledge payments on hand will lessen our financing needs.
The Master Plan Highlights
· Welcoming central entrance and gathering area on the Randolph Street side.
· Glass between vestibule and nave to allow visibility into interior church.
· Vestibule improvements will also allow natural light into church interior.
· Improved lighting and sound and new or refurbished pews and kneelers.
· Updated and accessible restrooms.
· Modernized basement with improved meeting space and elevator accessibility.
· Convent renovated to serve as Faith Formation Center for school and parish needs. The Center will include a modern library and technology resource room and flexible meeting spaces for school and community use.
· Library renovation to add classroom, restroom, and resource program capability, including a dedicated music room.
· Gym improvements to include improved lighting (COMPLETED) and flooring.
· Restructured Pre-K program area spaces to add capacity (COMPLETED)
· Reliable and energy efficient HVAC system (COMPLETED)
Project Milestones Since January 2019
· Met with the Diocesan Planning Commission about the St. Agnes Master Plan and received approval by the Commission of the next steps.
· Received approval from Bishop Burbidge for the next phase of design and engineering services with our architectural firm, Michael Winstanley Planners & Architects.
· Interviewed prospective construction firms over the summer.
· Hired Whitener & Jackson General Contractors to provide pre-construction services for the Master Plan, including project cost estimation, design feasibility analysis and refinement through the value engineering process and the project staging and coordination planning. The interview committee unanimously agreed upon this family owned company which has extensive experience with both churches and schools in the Diocese of Arlington.
· Master Planning Committee gave way to a Building Committee to steer the project forward.
· Worked with architect to select finishes and other details for more accurate final project costing.
· Tested project areas for hazardous materials as well as structural testing of convent to anticipate complications that may arise.
· Ongoing meeting of Capital Campaign Continuation Committee to oversee pledge redemption process in order to maximize redemption rate of pledges.
Project Next Steps
· Winter 2019/20: Ongoing consultations with Winstanley and Whitener & Jackson to refine design for church and school projects.
· Winter 2019/20: Advance design/development work on final designs; work on zoning /permits.
· Winter 2019/20: Meeting with Chief Diocesan Finance Officer to finalize 10-year financial model and necessary loan amount and payment schedules based upon finalized construction costs as well as St Agnes financial ability to carry debt.
· Winter/Spring 2020: Work with the Diocese, Winstanley and Whitener Jackson to hire contractor and finalize construction plans. Continue to work on zoning, permitting materials procurement and other preparations.
· Spring/Summer 2020: Target for project implementation and groundbreaking.