Marriage Preparation at Saint Agnes
If you're here to find out more about Marriage Preparation and weddings at Saint Agnes, welcome.
If you're recently engaged to be married, congratulations!
Please allow for sufficient time to do the wedding preparation. Eight to ten months is ideal, as preparations are most fruitful when they are not rushed. Please do not set a wedding date until you've met with the priest. The following are the minimum time periods for marriage preparation, from your first meeting with the priest to the wedding date:
- For a wedding at St. Agnes: 6 month minimum
- For a wedding in another diocese: 7 month minimum
- For a wedding in another country: 8 month minimum
Marriage or Holy Matrimony is a beautiful Sacrament which lifts up a man and a woman in love and unites them in the eternal love of God and makes them something much greater than they could ever be on their own. That unity is an indestructible bond (what could possibly overcome the love of God?) and a sign to all of us on earth of the love that IS God, and the love Christ has for us in His Church. Marriage gives couples the grace to love each other with the love of the Trinity shown through Christ's cross and resurrection.
We at Saint Agnes are happy to help you get ready for Marriage in any way we can. Here are some essentials you need to know:
- Contact the Parish Office, or complete our online Request for Marriage Preparation, as soon as reasonably possible after your engagement to start the process of preparation. The office can be reached at 703-525-1166 or at email@example.com.
It is necessary to begin preparation for Marriage and meet with a Priest at least seven (7) months before your preferred wedding date.
Generally speaking, it is also helpful (though not necessary) to be a registered parishioner. If you would like to register, a form can be found in the column to the left.
- Important: Please do NOT book a hall or venue until you have met with a Priest and received an "okay" to proceed and ensure that both the Church and the Priest are available for your preferred date.
- While waiting for the Priest to contact you (and afterwards), check out the following resources to learn more about marriage:
Common Questions About Marriage Prep at St. Agnes
Yes! Generally speaking, it's best to meet with the Priest to work out the particulars of your situation (is your fiance Christian or non-Christian?, etc.), but please do contact us so we can help you as best we can.